PALESTINE — The four fire stations of the Palestine Fire Department are competing against one another in the first “Stations Aglow” Christmas lighting contest.
The public is being asked to vote for their favorite station, with the station garnering the most votes winning bragging rights and a trophy.
“The guys really got into it.” Fire Chief Alan Wilcher said. “I think all of the stations look great, but when it comes down to it I think it will be a head-to-head contest between Station 2 and Station 3. Alan Parker at Station 2 built a whole scene of firemen fighting a fire using lights, but Station 3 has gone all out with strings of lights.
“Then again, Station 1 went for a classic display, so it will be fun to see who wins.”
Each station was given a set budget and told to design a specialized lighting display. Stations will be aglow from now until Dec. 25.
Here is the location of each station:
• Station 1 – 611 Avenue A (Downtown Palestine)
• Station 2 – 107 7th Street (Westwood)
• Station 3 – 501 Benbrook Dr. (behind Palestine High School)
• Station 4 – 2021 W. Spring St. (past Civic Center)
“Our firemen have made each station unique and fun. We encourage people to drive by each location and enjoy the creativity,” Palestine City Manager Wendy Ellis said. “The fire stations are an important part of our city facilities and we wanted to highlight them.”
To vote for your favorite station:
• Like the City of Palestine – Community Information page on Facebook, and then like the picture of the station of your choice.
• Email your station number of choice to VisitorCenter@Palestine-TX.com.
• Call the Visitor Center with your choice at 903-723-3014.
• Mail or drop by with your vote to Visitor Center at 825 W. Spring Street, or City Hall at 504 N. Queen St.
Voting ends Dec. 25 and the winning station will be announced Jan. 3.
“I feel the guys will keep this going and it will just take off. Each year they’ll add new things,” Wilcher said. “It’s awesome how creative they are – from spook houses to Christmas lights. I hope everyone will drive by and see what the guys have come up with.”
For more information or help on voting, call the Palestine Visitor Center at 903-723-3014.