By CHERIL VERNON
Palestine Independent School District Board of Trustees were showered with tokens of appreciation from all campuses ranging from cookies to Mardi Gras masks in honor of School Board Appreciation Month during a Thursday school board meeting at the PISD Administrative offices board room.
“We want to thank the board for everything that you do,” PISD Superintendent Jason Marshall said to board members, noting each trustee will be presented with a certificate of appreciation.
Palestine High School staff and students provided a special video tribute as a way to thank the school board members and to share students’ and teachers’ thoughts on what they love about their school.
Story Elementary School art teacher Debbie Nethery had her students make Mardi Gras masks for the board members. Some art students were on hand at the meeting to explain what they learned about Mardi Gras during their studies.
“We appreciate all of you, especially everyone who voted for us, trusting us to be your school board members and allowing us to serve here at Palestine ISD,” board president Wade Hobbs said.
Also during the meeting, Marshall’s contract was renewed for one year, making his superintendent’s contract valid through June 30, 2016.
The board also:
• APPROVED the 2011-12 financial audit report by Smith, Lambright and Associates, P.C.
• APPROVED adoption of resolution to suspend the portion of District Local Policy EIA regarding the end of course 15 percent provision for the 2012-2013 school year.
• APPROVED hiring professional personnel and superintendent’s contract.
• APPROVED interlocal agreement between PISD and Region 7 Head Start Program.
• APPROVED Anderson County Legislative Platform for the Texas 83rd Legislative Session.
• RECOGNIZED PHS athletes named to the 2012 All State Football Team
• RECOGNIZED Junior Rotarians from December, Lesly Rubalcava and Kaleb Garcia; and January, Bianca Garcia and Gregory Albright.
• RECOGNIZED PHS Students of the Month including December students Virginia Thigpen and Kody Harris and January students Callie Flynn and Kevin Looney
• HEARD construction update.
• HEARD financial report.
• HEARD from Assistant Superintendent of Instructional Services on 2011-12 Academic Excellence Indicator System (AEIS) Report and 2012-2013 academic plans and mid-year preparations for STAAR Testing.
• HEARD superintendent’s report.