Anderson County Commissioners approved a 5-year tax abatement agreement with an Elkhart business planning a $1.1 million expansion and an additional 30 jobs during a regular meeting on Monday at the Anderson County Courthouse Annex.
Eagle Railcar Services, LP is a railcar repair center located in Elkhart that services Union Pacific Railroad. Services include general shop services (inspections, etc.), railcar repair and maintenance, tank car cleaning, wreck damage repair, painting and lining, and HM 201 tank car testing.
According to Wendy Ellis with the Palestine Economic Development Corporation, the company plans to expand its facility with $1.1 million in capital improvements, increasing the number of employees from 115 to 145 and increasing payroll $828,000.
The five-year abatement agreement calls for 100 percent abatement in the first two years, a 50 percent abatement in the fourth year and a 20 percent abatement in the fifth year.
“I spoke with the Elkhart ISD Superintendent, who had expressed concerns that the abatement would affect the district's tax revenues,” Ellis said. “The agreement only applies to county taxes and would not affect the school district.”
Eagle Railcar Services, LP is located at U.S. 287 South in Elkhart. For more information on the company, visit www.eaglerailcarelkhart.com.
Also on Monday, commissioners:
• APPROVED reports from county officials, budget amendments and bills.
• TABLED approving a contract between the Department of State Health Services and Anderson County Clerk in order to issue birth certificates from the state website.
• TABLED action on a Premises Use Policy for Anderson County so it could be reviewed by the district attorney's office.
• APPROVED setting a date for a public hearing to increase the record archives fee for the county and District Clerk from $5 to $10 pursuant to HB 1513. The hearing will take place during the next commissioners court meting at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 12.
• TABLED action on matters regarding the purchase of real property as discussed in executive session.
Mary Rainwater may be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org