The Palestine Herald, Palestine, Texas

Local News

November 13, 2013

Chase suspect still in jail; charged with evading, violating parole


A 20-year-old Palestine man arrested following a high-speed chase on Saturday remained in the Anderson County Jail Tuesday afternoon on parole violation and felony charges as well as traffic violations.

According to Sheriff Greg Taylor, suspect Brandon Williams gave chase at about 5:22 a.m. Saturday when Deputy Johnny Gorden clocked the suspect speeding in Elkhart and attempted to pull him over.

“We chased him all the way to (Palestine) — about 10 miles,” Taylor said. “When he crashed at Atlas Portable Buildings (at the intersection of Loop 256 and West Oak Street), the suspect got out of the car (a red 2009 Cadillac CRT sedan) and ran.

“Deputies chased Williams about 1/3 a mile before catching him.”

Multiple ACSO officers assisted Gorden in the chase, Taylor said, including Sgt. Brian Chason, Sgt. Gabe Wallace and Deputy Russell Wesson.

Williams was charged with evading arrest or detention with a motor vehicle, $3,500 bond; evading arrest or detention (on foot), $2,500 bond; traffic violations, including expired driver's license, no insurance and speeding, $865 in fines; and a parole violation warrant, no bond.

“The parole violation warrant is probably why he tried to evade officers,” Taylor said. “We did a search and found no alcohol or drugs on the suspect or in the vehicle.”

Investigators said Williams was driving in Elkhart when officers made the initial contact. Reports indicate that rather than pulling over, Williams drove away from the scene and continued traveling down 287 North to Palestine before turning onto the Loop.

He proceeded to the intersection of the Loop and West Oak Street before losing control and crashing into at least one storage structure at a retail business in the area.

Police records indicate the pursuit topped 140 miles per hour in some places.

“He attempted to make a right onto West Oak, but because he was traveling at such a high rate of speed, the vehicle continued straight across the roadway and through the storage sheds,” Department of Public Safety Trooper Leonard Sandifer said in a previous interview.

No injuries were reported and damages are estimated to exceed $10,000.

“Thank God no one was hurt,” the sheriff said, stating that Williams would remain in jail until his parole hearing, probably several weeks away.


Mary Rainwater may be reached via e-mail at

Text Only
Local News