• HEARD report on Public Reporting of Meeting Highly Qualified Teacher Requirements
• APPROVED Policy Update 98, affecting local policies: BBE (Local): Board Members – Authority; DBA (Local): Employment
• AWARDED fuel bid to Spencer Distribution for the period of Dec. 1, 2013 to Aug. 31, 2014.
• APPROVED fund balance expenditures associated with construction. Due to unanticipated time schedules, the Design-Build project was unable to be completed in fiscal year 2012 and expenditures were incurred in the fiscal year 2013. Because the funding of the project was required to span across two fiscal years prior to completion, excess funds from the fiscal year 2012 that were used to finish the project had to be rolled into the fiscal year 2012 fund balance, resulting in a fiscal year 2012 total fund balance of approximately $10,100,000. Because the funding of the Design-Build project was completed in fiscal year 2013 rather than in fiscal year 2012 as originally projected, the board approved the use of up to $700,000 for the remaining costs of the Design-Build project incurred in fiscal year 2013. In doing so, it is anticipated that the fiscal year 2013 fund balance will subsequently be approximately $10,000,000.
• APPROVED consent items, which included the following: minutes of the Oct. 21 regular meeting; bills paid for October; financial report; monthly investment report; tax collection report; budget amendments; donations; administration of Credit by Exam for December; Palestine ISD Emergency Operations Plan; Legal Services Retainer Agreement with Walsh, Anderson, Brown, Gallegos and Green, P.C., Attorneys at Law for 2013-14.
• RECOGNIZED Palestine High School cross country teams.
• RECOGNIZED Junior Rotarians for the month, Leanne Fort and Branden Dantin.
• RECOGNIZED PHS Students of the Month, Gabrielle Steele and Wesley Ives.
• RECOGNIZED The Honorable Robert Nichols, Texas Senate, District 3.
• RECOGNIZED The Honorable Byron Cook, Texas House of Representatives, District 8.