By CHERIL VERNON
The Westwood Independent School District Board of Trustees voted to purchase a piece of property next to the Westwood Elementary Campus during its board meeting Monday.
The property will be used to help increase traffic flow and reduce congestion at the elementary school, giving the campus a total of about two acres of parking.
Architect Mark Strong from Goodwin-Lasiter Inc. of Lufkin gave a report on proposed summer projects at all four WISD campuses. Some of the projects included adding canopies and new sidewalks to campuses; reflooring gyms at the primary and elementary schools; new restroom facilities and concession stand for the softball field at the junior high campus; renovating the homemaking lab at the high school; resodding the football field and putting in new stadium lights.
WISD Superintendent Dr. Ed Lyman said the trustees would “pick and choose” the projects to focus on first.
Trustees also voted to use Berry & Clay Construction of Rusk as its Construction Manager At-Risk firm.
The school board approved bids for Jacksonville Fencing for its fencing, We Sword Co. for doors and locks, Quality Refrigerators for air conditioners and Alamo Patio for awning.
After a long discussion, the trustees also approved the bid for new stadium lights for the football field from Techline Sports Lighting.
In other action, the board:
• RECOGNIZED teachers of the month, including: Cecelia Crutcher, Emily Connor, Gretchen Ponder and Jordan Pope
• RECOGNIZED Students of the Month
• RECOGNIZED student representatives to the board, Brandon Wagner and Suzanne Mills
• RECOGNIZED the Westwood High School boys’ and girls’ basketball teams for both teams making the playoffs. It was the first year both teams have made the playoffs at the same time in Westwood’s 52-year school history
• RECOGNIZED ACADEC winners
• APPROVED consent agenda, which included: minutes of the Feb. 11 regular board meeting; February tax report; first reading of Policy Update 96; fund-raisers; and textbook and instructional materials certification.
• APPROVED school calendar for 2013-14, also approving staff development waiver days for submission to the Texas Education Agency
• ACKNOWLEDGED Federal Programs Procedures Manual