As the 75th Annual Dogwood Trails Celebration kicks off its third and final weekend, several events are on tap including the Palestine Community Theatre’s production of “Ghosts” The Musical, the Texas State Railroad’s Easter Egg Express (in Rusk) and various activities throughout Anderson County ranging from wine tastings, open houses and the Dogwood Trails Gospel Music Festival.
While the dogwoods are still blooming, this weekend also would be the perfect opportunity to take the family for a stroll through Palestine’s Davey Dogwood Park, located at 900 N. Link St.
There are two picnic areas inside Davey Dogwood Park. One is a scenic overlook called Manley Mountain (one of the highest points in Anderson County), which is near the entrance of the park. The other picnic area is at the center of the park with a pavilion area.
Here is a list of events set this weekend:
• “Ghosts: The Musical,” at 7:30 p.m. at the Texas Theater, located at 217 W. Crawford St. Cost is $12 for adults and $8 for students 4-18 years.
• Granny Muffin Wines, wine tastings and cheese samples, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 301 W. Oak St.
• Texas Vineyard & Smokehaus East Egg Hunt. Register by 1 p.m.; hunt begins at 1:30 p.m. There will be over 1,000 eggs and prizes. Egg fields for ages 5 and under, ages 6-11, and for 12-99. Bring your own basket. The Smokehaus is located at 2442 ACR 2133 in Palestine. Cost is $3 per child or $5 per family.
• Dogwood Trails Gospel Music Festival, 2 to 4 p.m. at North Jackson Baptist Church 1213 N. Jackson St. Free admission.
• Montalba Community Open House, 1 to 4 p.m. at the Montalba Community Center. Features a community Easter egg hunt as well as several guests speakers. Admission is free. From 1 to 2 p.m., Sarah Giles will share her experiences of a medical mission trip to Ethiopia. From 2 to 3 p.m., Eric Higginbotham will share his experiences and knowledge from his visit to the Warsaw Auschwitz Museum. Wayne Frazier will share his experiences of ministry of families. Kirby Jennings, retired missionary to foreign lands, will share his missionary experiences. Located 8 miles north of Palestine on Texas 19. Call 903-729-4007 or email email@example.com
• Texas Art Depot’s Art for the Soul, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 301 W. Oak St. in downtown Palestine. Art from around the world, 30 percent off sale. Ancel Nunn portfolios $10. Call 903-729-1262 or visit www.texasartdepot.com
• Sabor a Pasion Country House & Bistro Spring cooking classes, bed & breakfast rooms, vineyard, dinner, luncheons. Located at 110 ACR 406. Call for reservations: 903-729-9500 or visit www.saborapasion.com
• Denby’s Restaurant tours of restored historic building, 5 p.m. to close, Tuesday through Saturday. Enjoy a cheese cake blossom for $6. Located at 201 W. Crawford St. in downtown Palestine. Call Rusty at 903-723-0183 or visit www.denbysrestaurant.com
• Easter Egg Express train ride to meet the Easter Bunny, enjoy egg hunt, games, hayride, food vendor and much more, 11 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Cost: $15 to $45. Located at the Rusk Depot, Park Rd 76 in Rusk. Call for reservations 877-726-7245 or visit www.texasstaterr.com
• Sweet Dreams Winery, live music by the Baby Alligator Band from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Wine tastings, $5. Located at 2549 ACR 441. Call 903-549-9027 or visit www.sweetdreamswinery.com
• Dogwood Trails Gospel Music Festival, 2 to 4 p.m. Free event at North Jackson Baptist Church located at 1213 N. Jackson St. Those appearing on the program will be Gaily LeMay, Patriotic Songs, Troy and Joy Dancer and friends, The Campbell Family, Wise County Blue Grass, J.B. Matlock and Texas Express. For more information, call 903-729-7419 or 903-723-2177.
• Texas Vineyard & Smokehaus wine tasting and cheese pairing, noon to 6:30 p.m. Wine cost: $5 per person. Located 2442 ACR 2133. Call 903-538-2950 or visit www.texasvineyard.org.