By CHERIL VERNON
The Palestine Area Chamber of Commerce’s annual banquet coming up in October is called “Palestine Pairings” and will be offering just that — pairing eight appetizers from local restaurants matched with beverages from Ben E. Keith Distributors.
The banquet will be held from 6 to 10 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 19 inside the Ben E. Keith Warehouse.
“Eight local restaurants are providing an appetizer with their own personal flair and Ben E. Keith will pair it with a beverage to compliment each one,” Chamber Executive Director Marc C. Mitchell told the Herald-Press Friday. “I think it will be a lot of fun and different and I think people will enjoy it.”
During the banquet program, the Citizen of the Year, Ambassador of the Year and Business of the Year awards will be presented to members of the community. A special Lifetime Achievement Award also will be presented.
“Our annual banquet is the highlight of our chamber year. I think it will be a fun evening with music, games and a chance to sample food from some of our local restaurants,” Mitchell said. “We are still accepting applications for the Citizen of the Year. Forms are available at the Chamber office or we can send you one.”
For the first time in a long time, the banquet will be held on a Saturday night instead of on a Thursday — and at a new location.
“We anticipate another large year. The invitations just went out and we’ve had a very good response and have already sold a lot of tables. We will have enough room for 350 people and expect it to be sold out,” Mitchell said.
The schedule of events include: 6 to 7 p.m., cocktails with pairing, music and silent auction; 7 to 8 p.m., dinner and program; 8 to 9:30 p.m., music, dancing, games and silent auction; 9:30 to 10 p.m., silent auction payout.
“We are still accepting silent auction items through Oct. 1. We are fortunate that a lot of great folks have donated items to us, and sponsorships as well,” Mitchell said.
The pairings include the following appetizers and beverages:
• Hot links and turkey from Bishop’s Brisket House, paired with Ben E. Keith’s German Rye
• Kook Sister (dessert) from Contemporary Catering, paired with Ben E. Keith’s Baltic Porter
• Beef enchiladas from Little Mexico, paired with Ben E. Keith’s Indian Pale Ale
• Shrimp wrapped in bacon from Don Mario’s, paired with Ben E. Keith’s German Pilsner
• Jalapeno lime marinated shrimp on skewers from Switch, paired with Ben E. Keith’s Belgian Lambic
• Quesadillas from Cotton Patch, paired with Ben E. Keith’s Fimosa
• Fudge brownies from Oxbow Bakery, paired with Ben E. Keith’s Imperial Stout
• Grapes and cheese tray from Toni’s Petals & Parties, paired with Ben E. Keith’s English Summer/Blonde Ale
Tickets for the event are $45 per person or $85 per couple.
For tickets or more information, call the Chamber office at 903-729-6066.