PALESTINE — The City of Palestine once again will offer residents a chance to clear out their closets and yards at no charge through the 2014 City of Palestine Spring Cleanup Day, set for Saturday, March 15.
Cleanup items will be accepted from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the City of Palestine Transfer Station, 30440 Hwy. 79 E., located one mile outside of the city limits.
In conjunction with Keep Palestine Beautiful, the City of Palestine conducts the citywide cleanup day twice a year. The day allows residents living within the city limits an opportunity to clear their property of unwanted items at no cost to the resident, which can make a big difference in the overall appearance of homes and lots.
“We are excited to help the city look its best for the Dogwood Trails Festival,” City of Palestine Public Works Director Tim Perry said.
Items accepted at the transfer station include:
• Yard waste including limbs, brush and leaves.
• Solid waste, including household garbage, furniture, lumber, shingles and dried paint.
• Metal items including sheet metal, pipe, scrap iron and cast iron.
• Large appliances including refrigerators, washers, dryers, A/C units, televisions and personal computers.
• Tires including car tires and light truck tires only. No tractor or large truck tires will be allowed. All tires must be separated from the rims.
• Electronics – Computers, laptops, mainframes, peripherals, telephones including cell phones, fax machines, printers and copiers.
This year, STS will be providing Electronic Recycling for electronics collected at the transfer station.
In order to regulate who is allowed to dump items, proof of address must be shown, such as a driver’s license or water bill. If these items cannot be produced, the person will not be allowed to drop off items.
This event is not intended for commercial haulers or contractors. No household chemicals, such as drain cleaners, liquid paint, cleaning supplies, herbicides, pesticides, automotive fluids or acids will be accepted.
Elderly and disabled residents may call the City of Palestine Public Works Department at 903-731-8423 to apply for curbside pickup on March 15. The deadline to get on the list for elderly and disabled pickup is 4 p.m. Thursday, March 13.
All items must be at the curb by no later than 7 a.m.
The brush management/compost site will not be open during the cleanup; however, the transfer station will be taking brush that day.