A late night fire destroyed a double-wide mobile home Tuesday on Texas 294, leaving a family of six without a home.
Anderson County Sheriff Greg Taylor said a deputy received a report about the fire at 9:08 p.m. and when he arrived on the scene at 9817 Texas 294 West, the home was fully engulfed.
“Elkhart, Southside, Tucker and Westside volunteer fire departments worked the fire,” Taylor said. “It was a total loss.”
The home was occupied by Shannon Murray and her four children ranging in age from 4 to 10 and her mother, Brenda Murray. No one was in the home at the time of the fire.
“It's hard, very hard,” Shannon Murray told the Herald-Press Wednesday about dealing with the loss of her home and their possessions. “The kids are coping with the fact that they don't have clothes or anything, but they are dealing with it pretty good for their age.”
According to the mother of four, she was at work at Walmart Supercenter at the time of the fire, while her mother and children were next door at her grandmother's home, where they had just finished eating.
“My mother had made a fire in the fireplace. We had recently had the roof redone on the mobile home. It had been raining inside of the fireplace, so when it was redone a plastic piece was put on top of the fireplace,” Shannon Murray said. “She noticed it was smoky in the house but she thought it was because of the wood she was using. We have used the fireplace for years, but this was the first time we had used it this year since the roof had been repaired.”
Her mother had just gone inside the home to get her cup and then returned next door to join the other family members.