By MARY RAINWATER
Anderson County Commissioners’ Court joined the Palestine City Council this week in making way for the Sanderson Farms Inc. arrival by approving a tax abatement agreement with the company and an interlocal agreement with the city.
The agreement, the same as approved by the city council, allows for an 8-year tax abatement for the value of improvements to be placed on the property for the operation of a processing facility.
Sanderson Farms Inc. would receive a 90 percent abatement on the value of the improvements over the next six years (after construction completed); 85 percent in year seven; and 80 percent in year eight.
According to County Judge Robert Johnston, the processing facility will employ 900 people. It will be located at a site near Palestine’s wastewater treatment plant at the end of West Point Tap Road.
“I think its great,” Johnston said about the arrival of Sanderson Farms. “It is great for Anderson County and great for the company.
“They are bringing 1,000 jobs to the area, with good pay and benefits,” he continued. “I am excited about it.”
In order to approve the abatement, commissioners first adopted a resolution to establish a reinvestment zone in the land to be used for the poultry processing plant.
Commissioners also approved an interlocal agreement between the city and the county to extend roads and utilities to the Sanderson Farms processing facility.
In other business, commissioners:
• APPROVED minutes from previous meetings, reports from county officials, budget amendments and bills.
• APPROVED of a tax abatement contract between Anderson County and Frankston Packaging Company, LP, 699 N. Frankston Highway, for the value of improvements to be placed on property in the established reinvestment zone in the City of Frankston for the purpose of manufacturing an expanded line of products.
• APPROVED a proclamation from ACCESS declaring the month of May as Mental Health Awareness Month and May 5-11 as Youth Mental Health Awareness Week.
• APPROVED an order supporting HB 1326, 1327 and 1513 supporting the increase in the Records Management and Records Archive from $5 to $10.
• APPROVED acceptance of Price Cemetery Road into the Precinct 3 Anderson County Road System.
• APPROVED closing ACR 4042 as described in Transportation Code, Chapter 251, section 251.058.
• APPROVED the construction of a County bridge on ACR 2418 as described in Transportation Code, Chapter 251, section 251.081.
Mary Rainwater may be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org