Anderson County Commissioners will consider bids/proposals for the replacement of the jail roof and an emergency amendment to the budget for the local animal shelter during a regular meeting on Monday.
The meeting will take place at 9:30 a.m. in the county courtroom of the Anderson County Courthouse Annex, located at 703 N. Mallard St. in Palestine.
Commissioners voted in January to seek bids for an architect to design a new roof for the jail, with Sheriff Greg Taylor reporting over 100 leaks that had been patched up numerous times.
And at a later meeting on May 28, the court OKd the option for the type of replacement as well as a contract with an architect.
The court approved the second option — replacement of the roof with the same as the currently existing one, with costs ranging from $185,000 to $225,000. A contract with Burns Architecture also was approved, pending their approval of contract changes made by District Attorney Doug Lowe.
Also on Monday, Brenda Beasley of BARC, The Humane Society animal shelter is set to speak to commissioners regarding the need for additional funding from the county. A subsequent item has the court considering an emergency budget amendment to increase contributions to the shelter.
Other items on Monday’s agenda include:
• Reports from county officials.
• Budget amendments, bills and utility crossing county roads.
• Discuss bank depository contract and take action as necessary.
• Consider and take action on bank depository signature cards.
• Hear from Pattillo, Brown and Hill CPAs for the presentation of the 2012 audit for Anderson County and take action as necessary.
• Discuss and take action on approving subdivision application for The Reserve at Montalba.
• Discussion and possible action on proposed amendments to the previously approved tax abatement contract for Sanderson Farms, Inc. for the construction of a poultry processing facility.
• Discussion and possible action on proposed amendments to the previously approved tax abatement contract for Sanderson Farms, Inc. for the construction of a hatchery facility.
• Hold a public hearing to close and discontinue maintenance of Anderson County Road 4042 and take action as necessary.
Mary Rainwater may be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org