By MARY RAINWATER
Anderson County Commissioners approved an order from the district judges that renews the appointment of County Auditor Karin Smith for two more years during a regular meeting Monday.
According to County Judge Robert Johnston, the county’s Board of District Judges, who is in charge of naming the county auditor, sent a letter to commissioners requesting renewal of Smith’s contract for another two years — running from 2013 to 2015.
The court unanimously approved the order and agreed to pay Smith’s (surety) bond of $5,000.
In other business Monday, the court:
• APPROVED minutes from the March 11 meeting, budget amendments, bills and utility crossing county roads.
• APPROVED reports from county officials.
• APPROVED the transfer of a 2007 Ford pickup from the Precinct 2 Constable to the Precinct 2 Road & Bridge department.
• APPROVED a resolution (R-7-2013) for the sale of property held by Elkhart Independent School District to buyer John Chaffin for $4,210.
• APPROVED a bid of $57,000 from Southwest Equipment Co. of Tyler for the purchase of 2006 John Deere dozer for the Precinct 4 Road & Bridge department.
Precinct 4 Commissioner Joey Hill reported later that a new dozer costs over $100,000 and that this move by the county would allow for significant savings.
• AWARDED bids for 1-inch base stone to J&S Construction as the primary, with Cactus Express as a backup; and awarded 1 1/2-inch base stone bids to S&S Trucking as the primary and to J&S Construction as a backup.
• APPROVED, after a closed session meeting, a measure allowing the county auditor to reimburse Bruce Smith $355 for a disputed claim and that Smith would sign an indemnification release.
Mary Rainwater may be reached via e-mail at email@example.com