PALESTINE — The City of Palestine will hold its 2014 Spring Cleanup Day on Saturday, offering residents a chance to tidy up their home and yard prior to the upcoming Dogwood Trails Celebration, which kicks off next week.
Items will be accepted from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the City of Palestine Transfer Station, located at 30440 Hwy. 79 E. one mile outside of the city limits.
In conjunction with Keep Palestine Beautiful, the City of Palestine conducts the citywide cleanup day twice a year — usually prior to the local festivals in March and October.
The day allows residents living within the city limits an opportunity to clear their property of unwanted items at no cost to the resident, which can make a big difference in the overall appearance of homes and lots.
Items being accepted at the transfer station include:
• Yard waste — limbs, brush and leaves.
• Solid waste — household garbage, furniture, lumber, shingles and dried paint.
• Metal items — sheet metal, pipe, scrap iron and cast iron.
• Large appliances — refrigerators, washers, dryers, A/C units, televisions and personal computers.
• Tires — car tires and light truck tires only. No tractor or large truck tires will be allowed. All tires must be separated from the rims.
• Electronics – Computers, laptops, mainframes, peripherals, telephones including cell phones, fax machines, printers and copiers.
This year, STS will be providing electronic recycling for electronics collected at the transfer station.
In order to regulate who is allowed to dump items, proof of address must be shown, such as a driver’s license or water bill. If these items cannot be produced, the person will not be allowed to drop off items.
This event is not intended for commercial haulers or contractors. No household chemicals, such as drain cleaners, liquid paint, cleaning supplies, herbicides, pesticides, automotive fluids or acids will be accepted.
Those who have signed up for curbside pickup (the deadline was Thursday) are reminded to have their items at the curb by 7 a.m. Saturday. For more information, call the City of Palestine Public Works Department at 903-731-8423.
The brush management/compost site will not be open during the cleanup; however, the transfer station will be taking brush that day.