“Hearth & Tinsel” Afternoon Tour in Northside Historical District (2 to 4 p.m.)
• 922 N. Link St. (Campbell family) — In contrast to the asymmetrical forms and eclectic character of many houses of the Victorian era, residences of the 1900s and 1910s typically had more balanced and orderly exteriors. This 2-story frame house provides a vivid illustration of this trend in residential architectural history. The property is virtually unaltered, with its historic character and integrity largely intact. This house was originally built as a small one-story dwelling in the 1870s by Albert A. Joost, the son of Palestine's first merchant. Tennessee-native James Wisdom Ozment (1842-1918) bought the house about 1910 and hired builder William Kraus to move the original structure back from the street and substantially enlarge it into a grand two-story dwelling with a classical façade. Ozment was an extremely important figure in mid and late 19th century Palestine: a member of the first city council, he was instrumental in helping restore power to local citizens in the aftermath of the Civil War and the occupation of Palestine by the carpetbaggers. He was the first president of Palestine National Bank, which opened in 1890. Ozment operated a dry goods store on the courthouse square and had substantial real estate holdings; in addition, he expanded the city's first telephone service.
• 402 E. Kolstad St. (Tatum family) — Local historians claim that part of this house existed as early as 1870, when local schoolteacher Virgil F. DuBose rented the dwelling from Dr. Henry H. Link, who lived nearby and owned this land. DuBose was soon able to buy the house, which he subsequently expanded. It is believed that he and his wife Lockie began adding the house’s Queen Anne ornamentation after DuBose became District Clerk, a position he held for much of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. During the mid-1920s Mr. DuBose was manager of the Anderson County Abstract Company, located at the courthouse. City directories note that Mr. DuBose continued living here through at least 1941. DuBose died Sept. 19, 1944 and is buried at the East Hill Cemetery.
• 310 E Kolstad (Patton family) — The most impressive feature of this 2-story frame house is its pedimented portico with two-story ionic columns. These architectural elements are indicative of the Classical Revival style, an architectural expression that attained a degree of popularity locally during the 1900s and 1910s. This house, which is virtually unaltered with its historic integrity largely intact, is one of the premier examples of this style in Palestine. An addition was made to the rear of the house in the 1940s. According to the current owner, V.D. Wilson had this house built in 1907, and he lived here himself until 1909, when it was purchased by W. Wright. Wright owned and occupied the dwelling until 1919. From that year until 1944 the house was owned and occupied by Alfred Alonzo Brooks and his wife Rebecca. During the 1920s, Alfred Alonzo Brooks was an employee of the I&GN Railroad; later, he was superintendent of the Reclamation Plant for Missouri Pacific.