A call about possible smoke at the Anderson County Courthouse turned out to be a false alarm Tuesday evening.
What appeared to be smoke coming out of the courthouse chimney on the south side was actually steam, according to officials.
“The courthouse got a brand new boiler heating system — six to eight weeks ago that heats the whole courthouse,” Palestine Fire Department Captain Kyle Betterson said on the scene Tuesday. “It was piped in to the old chimney. The cold and humidity provided just enough moisture to make the steam.”
This was the first time that the steam has appeared above the courthouse since the system was installed — which led to the emergency call, reported about 7:30 p.m
“It's our job to check it out to make sure everything is okay,” Betterton said. “But the boiler is working perfectly.”