No one was injured in a house that caught fire around 6:25 a.m. Wednesday off of Anderson County Road 150, north of Elkhart. The home was still smoking several hours later, and the roof had nearly collapsed.
Fire departments that responded to the scene included Elkhart, 84 East, Southside and Tucker volunteer fire departments.
Randy McCoy, assistant chief for Elkhart Volunteer Fire Department, said there were no people inside the house at the time of the fire.
“The entire attic was fully involved when we got here. It was coming out of the gable at the end of the roof,” he said. “We did an exterior attack, knocked the fire out, went inside, and the only thing we found was two cats. We got them out.”
McCoy said they speculated the fire could have started from the fireplace.
The American Red Cross was notified of the incident to assist the two residents with temporary housing.