By CHERIL VERNON
Lots of Easter activities are on tap this weekend including Easter egg hunts and sunrise services.
Most of the Easter egg hunts are on Saturday and Sunday, but First Baptist Church of Palestine is holding a unique “Flashlight Egg Hunt” at 7 p.m. today at the church. In addition to the egg hung, there will be praise and worship, refreshments and fellowship. The egg hunt will be at dusk and children are encouraged to bring their Easter baskets.
Here is a list of Easter egg hunts on Saturday:
• The Pride of Palestine Order of Eastern Star Chapter 12 will host a Golden Egg Hunt from 9 to 10 a.m. Saturday at Calhoun Park. Age groups are 1-3 years of age; 4-6 years of age; 7- 9 years of age; and 10-12 years of age. A prize will be awarded to the child who finds the Golden Egg in each age group.
• Walmart will be hosting its annual Easter egg hunt starting at 10 a.m. Saturday at the rear of the building. The hunt will be open for children ages 0-12. There will be more than 2,000 eggs including prize eggs.
• First United Methodist Church of Palestine, 422 S. Magnolia St., will hold its annual Easter Egg Hunt and Festival at 10 a.m. There will be an egg hunt for toddlers through age 4, ages 5-8, and ages 9 -12.
• The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8907’s Ladies Auxiliary will host a community Easter egg hunt from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday at the VFW Post located at 3800 W. Oak St. There will be prize eggs and prizes for winners in each age group: 0-3, 4-7 and 8-11.
The Ladies Auxiliary also will serve cookies and punch.
• Walston Springs Baptist Church will hold a community Easter egg hunt beginning at 2 p.m. Saturday for children through age 12. There will be several eggs with prizes inside. A special prize will be awarded to the one who gathers the most eggs. The church is located at 789 FM 2419 approximately 1 mile off U.S. 287/Texas 19 South.
• Family of Faith Church will hold its annual community Easter egg hunt at 2 p.m. featuring more than 1,500 eggs. The church is located on U.S. 287/Texas 19 South in Elkhart.
• Lone Pine Baptist Church will be hosting an old-fashioned Easter egg hunt at 4 p.m. Saturday. The family-oriented event is for all ages. Bring a dozen boiled eggs. Church members will dye and decorate them together. There will be games in addition to hunting the eggs. The activity will take place in the fellowship hall.
• Bethlehem Lutheran Church will hold an Easter egg hunt for children through second grade beginning at 10 a.m. Saturday.
• Cornerstone Worship Center will hold an Easter egg dying party from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday. The Easter bunny will make a special visit.
• Elkhart First United Methodist Church will hold an Easter egg hunt for all toddlers and children through the fifth grade who live in the Elkhart community at 2 p.m. Saturday. Parents are asked to bring Easter baskets. In addition to the traditional egg hunt, there will be story telling, crafts and snacks.
On Easter Sunday, the following Easter egg hunts are planned:
• Evangelistic Temple, located at 3011 N. Loop 256, will have an Easter Egg Hunt during its worship services at 8:30 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. on Sunday. The hunts will feature 4,000 eggs and lots of prizes.
• Broyles Chapel Baptist Church will hold an Easter egg hunt following 11 a.m. Sunday worship service.
• Cornerstone Worship Center will hold an Easter egg hunt following the 11 a.m. Sunday worship service and dinner.
• United Pentecostal Church will hold an Easter egg hunt following the 11 a.m. Sunday worship service as well as a potluck lunch. Games and fellowship are planned from 2 to 5 p.m.
• Calvary Baptist Church will hold an Easter egg hunt after the 11 a.m. Sunday service.
• Palestine Church of the Nazarene will hold an Easter egg hunt featuring the Easter bunny Sunday. The egg hunt will be held after the 10:45 a.m. Sunday worship service and Easter dinner on the grounds. Palestine Church of the Nazarene is located off U.S. 84 East in Palestine.
Several Easter sunrise services and other events are planned Sunday, including:
• He Rose Cowboy Fellowship & Arena in Montalba will host an Easter “Sonrise” service beginning at 6:30 a.m. at the chapel on the hill behind the fellowship hall. For directions or more information, contact Mark or Dee Norman at 903-549-2431 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Elkhart First United Methodist Church will hold Easter sunrise services at 6:30 a.m. Sunday at the historic Pilgrim Church in Elkhart. Refreshments will be served afterwards.
• Calvary Baptist Church’s “Son Rise” service will start at 6:45 a.m. Sunday on the ball field, weather permitting. If the weather is bad, the congregation will meet in the church auditorium.
• First Baptist Church of Palestine will hold sunrise services at 6:30 a.m. Sunday.
• Family of Faith Church in Elkhart will hold Easter sunrise services at 6:30 a.m.
• Sheridan Terrace Baptist Church will hold sunrise services at 7 a.m. Sunday.
• Mount Olive Baptist Church will host sunrise services at 7 a.m. Sunday. The church will host the services for the Ex-Massey Lake Student Reunion. An Easter play “Living Your Life to Finish Well” will be presented at 11 a.m.
• Walston Springs Baptist Church will hold a sunrise service at 7 a.m. Sunday on the basketball court. The church is located at 789 FM 2419 approximately 1 mile off U.S. Hwy 287/19 South.
For more information about Easter Sunday services at area churches, read the news on the Religion pages in today’s edition on Pages A-12 and A-13.