The Palestine Herald, Palestine, Texas

Local Sports

October 5, 2012

Groesbeck blanks Westwood, 40-0

GROESBECK — Two weeks after posting a dramatic come-from-behind victory over Malakoff, the Westwood Panthers tumbled back to earth Friday.

Scoring touchdowns on five consecutive possessions spanning the second and third quarters, the Class 3A Groesbeck Goats used a high-powered passing attack to blank Westwood, 40-0, Friday night at Panther Stadium.

The Panthers, now 2-3, begin district action next week when they travel to Franklin.

With five pass plays of 25 yards or more, Goat quarterback Colt McCoy resembled the former University of Texas quarterback of the same name at times, completing 12-of-19 passes for 295 yards and three touchdowns, including a 94-yarder to Matt Barnes in the first quarter.

Groesbeck tailback Terell Miles paced the Goat rushing attack with 125 yards on 11 carries, including second-half TD runs of 12 and 56 yards.

After seeing its passing game come to life in the victory over Malakoff, the Panthers, who were coming off a bye week, meanwhile, struggled through the air against Groesbeck, completing just 2-of-14 attempts for a mere 16 yards.

Keke Hicks, who played virtually the entire game at quarterback, provided most of Westwood’s offense on the ground, rushing for 102 yards on 20 carries.

Groesbeck, which did not punt until less than two minutes remained in the contest, finished with 486 total yards offense (191 rushing/295 passing), while Westwood recorded just 196.

Groesbeck scored a pair of touchdowns in the final 2 1/2 minutes of the first half to pull out to a 22-0 halftime lead, with both drives starting in Westwood territory after punt returns of 39 and 21 yards respectively.

The first quarter was somewhat of a statistical anomaly as Westwood ran 22 offensive plays to Groesbeck’s two, but trailed, 8-0, at the end of the opening 12 minutes.

The Panthers took the opening kickoff and methodically marched to the Goat 4, with the drive dying on its 15th play when Groesbeck’s Jamarcus Tatum recovered Chris Thompson’s fumble at the 3.

Groesbeck wasted little time in getting on the scoreboard as two plays later McCoy hit Barnes in stride on a 94-yard pass-and-run play down the left sideline.

Barnes found Klein Wiley with the two-point conversion pass as Groesbeck was in front, 8-0, with 4:13 remaining in the first quarter.

On its second drive of the game, Westwood again moved into Groesbeck’s end of the field, but was forced to punt on fourth-and-12 from the Goat 38 on the final play of the first quarter.

Groesbeck’s advantage stayed at 8-0 until the opening half’s final three minutes.

After a 39-yard punt return by Cody Wilson set the Goats up at the Westwood 36, McCoy threw his second of three first-half touchdown passes, connecting with Wiley over the middle on the next play with 2:24 remaining until halftime.

Ty Chiglo’s PAT was blocked as Groesbeck’s lead stayed at 14-0.

The Panthers failed to get a first down on their ensuing drive and Groesbeck again got excellent starting position after the Goats’ Tatum had a 21-yard punt return to the Westwood 47.

A 36-yard hookup from McCoy-to-Wiley moved the Goats to the Panther 8 in the waning moments of the first half.

On the next play, McCoy and Wiley combined again on a 8-yard scoring toss with 32 seconds left until intermission.

A two-point conversion run by Barnes increased Groesbeck’s lead to 22-0 at the half.

The Goats then scored on their opening three possessions of the third quarter on drives of 62, 26 and 88 yards to surge out to a 40-0 advantage with 3:48 still left in the third quarter.

Text Only
Local Sports