Palestine police say they believe the same group of persons is responsible for three separate instances of shots being fired Tuesday morning – the second of which landed a 26-year-old local man in a Tyler hospital.

During a 2 1/2-hour span beginning at 7:15 a.m. Tuesday, Palestine Police Det. Larry Mars said shots were fired in or around three local residences within the city limits.

The residences are located in “three separate areas of the city,” according to the detective.

“We have some information that would lead us to believe it’s possibly drug related,” Mars stated.

On two of the occasions, the shots were fired into residences located on Callier and Maple streets, according to Mars.

In the other instance, a 26-year-old male was shot in the right side of the head shortly before 9:20 a.m. Tuesday as he stood near the curb talking to another individual in front of a residence in the 800 block of North Perry Street, the detective stated.

The alleged shooter was reported to be inside a vehicle at the time of the shooting, according to Mars.

The shooting victim had been transported by private vehicle to Palestine Regional Medical Center by the time officers arrived at the residence, according to the detective. He was later careflighted to Trinity Mother Frances Hospital in Tyler where he was being treated for his injuries, Mars added.

Mars said the victim’s injuries did not appear to be life threatening as of late Tuesday afternoon.

“It does not appear so,” the detective said, “but it’s serious any time a person’s shot in the head.”

Mars declined to divulge the victim’s identity.

Palestine police received their first report of shots fired at 7:15 a.m. Tuesday, responding to the 300 block of Callier Street.

In that incident, Mars said “two documented shots were fired into the residence.”

At 10:45 a.m. Tuesday, approximately 25 minutes after the man was shot in front of the North Perry Street residence, a shot was fired through the window of a residence in the 200 block of Maple Street, according to Mars.

The Maple Street residence was hit by a “shotgun at fairly close range, entering one window and exiting through another window,” the detective said.

No one was injured in either of the other incidents, according to police.

As of late Tuesday afternoon, local police had no named suspects, according to Mars.

“We’ll try to piece this together from outside witnesses,” Mars said. “As soon as our victim is able to talk, we’ll visit with him.”


Paul Stone may be contacted via e-mail at

Trending Video