A 27-year-old Palestine man considered a fugitive since skipping out on his punishment hearing three months ago was arrested Monday and is now back at the Anderson County Jail.

Robin Eugene Oliver, 27, of Palestine was arrested shortly after 6 p.m. Monday at a residence in the 600 block of South Fulton Street after local police received a tip that he was at that location.

Palestine police records indicate that that agency received information shortly before 3:30 p.m. Monday that Oliver was inside a residence at 606 S. Fulton St.

Oliver, who has reportedly lived at the residence in the past, was one of four local men charged in connection with the Jan. 26, 2004 shooting of Timothy Laban Owens of Oakwood in front of the same house.

After getting the tip, officers surrounded the house and, after a search warrant was obtained to enter the residence, Oliver was discovered hiding under a couch in the living room, according to police records.

Inside the residence, police say marijuana and a Smith and Wesson .44-caliber Magnum, were observed in plain view. After obtaining a second search warrant, police later found additional marijuana; two more guns; money; cocaine and Ecstasy inside the house, according to records.

Anderson County Sheriff Greg Taylor said Palestine Police Sgt. Dan Mogan and Cpl. Steven McDaniel arrived at the Anderson County Jail with Oliver in custody around 6:30 p.m. Monday.

Almost four months ago on Aug. 4, an Anderson County jury found Oliver guilty of three charges — including aggravated assault; possession of marijuana between 4 ounces and 5 pounds; and possession of a firearm by a felon — in connection with Owens’ shooting.

Authorities do not believe Oliver shot Owens, who was left partially blind, but have said he was armed during the commission of the offense and an active participant.

On the day he was found guilty, records show that Oliver was released from the Anderson County Jail after posting bonds totaling $125,000.

Oliver was scheduled to be sentenced for the offenses on the morning of Aug. 31 by 349th State District Judge Pam Foster Fletcher. He initially showed up for his punishment hearing. However, the start of the hearing was delayed due to his attorney being involved in another proceeding at the same time.

When the case was called again 90 minutes later, Oliver was nowhere to be found. Punishment evidence was presented despite his absence.

Oliver has made telephone contact with the Anderson County district attorney’s office on a handful of occasions over the past few months, but authorities — including the U.S. marshal’s office out of Tyler — had been unsuccessful in locating Oliver prior to Monday.

In the coming days, Oliver, whose bonds now total $1 million, will likely be formally sentenced by Fletcher on the three charges.

Recommended for you