By SCOTT TYLER
H-P Sports Editor
The Palestine Ladycats opened the season Friday night looking like a team who only has practiced for three days.
The Ladycats struggled with turnovers against a pressing Athens squad, falling 52-41.
“We have a long ways to go but we will get there,” Palestine head coach Andy Snider said. “We have new personnel, some new stuff in our system and new responsibilities that we have to learn.”
Palestine had a lead only twice in the game, once in the opening two minutes when the Ladycats were up 4-2. The next time Palestine had the lead was in the third quarter when Anjelica Deckard made a three pointer from the wing top give Palestine a 30-29 lead.
Athens responded with a basket to regain the lead and then the Lady Hornets went on a 14-3 run to end the quarter leading 43-33.
“I thought that we stayed competitive and stayed in the ball game,” Snider said. “We are learning on the move and were doing stuff we did not cover in practice.”
Palestine was led in scoring by Jazmine Cashmere, who had 13 points, including two three pointers.
Allison Reed scored 10 points while Deckard added nine.
Palestine will play at Fairfield Tuesday.
By SCOTT TYLER
Ethel Jean Lawson Ledesma, 59 of Palestine, passed away Wednesday, September 15, 2021 in Palestine, Tx. Veiwing will be held on Sunday, September 19, 2021 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Emanuel Funeral Home of Palestine. Funeral will be held on Monday, September 20, 2021 at Sacred Heart Catholic …
Services for Eva Staples, 84 of Tyler, are pending with Bailey & Foster Funeral Home. Mrs. Staples passed away Friday in Tyler.
Services for Joshua Hyatt, 42 of Grapeland, are pending with Bailey & Foster Funeral Home. Mr. Hyatt passed away Thursday in Palestine.
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Palestine police officer fighting for his life, in need of ECMO machine
- Suspect charged in weekend vandalism
- Slow down: Commissioners Court approves speed limit reductions
- Vandals hit multiple Palestine businesses
- #bEASTTexas Fabulous 15: Elkhart cracks ETX Top 15
- Westwood adds $38 million bond for district-wide improvements to Nov. ballot
- Hospital is 'fullest I have ever seen'
- Council votes down zoning change request
- Football preview: Elkhart embraces chance at history on homecoming
Sorry, there are no recent results for popular videos.