Shonda Townsend

Nine years have passed since 19-year-old Krishonda Townsend disappeared without a trace in the early morning hours of July 5, 2010.

Nine years have passed since 19-year-old Krishonda Townsend disappeared without a trace in the early morning hours of July 5, 2010.

Her skeletal remains were found in a field southwest of Mineral Wells in October 2011.

But happened to her that night that led to her death remains a mystery. Someone knows, and they – and likely others – are holding onto a dark secret. The question is how long will their secret remain secret?

The mother of a small boy at the time, Townsend was a graduate of Perrin High School. She spent her last July 4th with a group of friends at Lake Bridgeport. They returned to Mineral Wells that evening, going to a friend’s house located on U.S. Highway 180 West, near a convenience store and in front of the Cedar View Apartments.

Their vehicle was reportedly seen at the nearby convenience store around 11:30 p.m. the night of July 4th. Back at the house, Townsend made a cryptic post on her Facebook page – “I got this” – and left there shortly before midnight.

Crime Stoppers

Crime Stoppers pays rewards of up to $1,000 for information leading to an arrest and indictment of anyone committing a felony offense. Call Crime Stoppers any time, night or day.

She reportedly sent a phone text her mother that she was headed home to Gibtown. Investigators know there was activity on Townsend’s cellular phone until about 2 a.m. the morning of July 5. The phone’s signal bounced off of a cellular service tower in Peadenville, located between Mineral Wells and Perrin to the north.

About three hours later, Townsend’s ransacked 1997 Toyota Camry was found in the 800 block of S.E. 3rd Avenue in Mineral Wells, with its stereo system missing and personal items strewn about. The car was found in front of a known drug dealer’s house – which authorities speculate was done intentionally to divert the attention of law enforcement.

Because of where the car was left, and the remote area where Townsend’s remains were found, investigators believe those involved, or with her when she died, are local individuals.

Over the course of the now stone-cold investigation, dozens of friends and persons of interest have been interviewed and polygraphed by law enforcement, some more than once. While the stories vary, investigators say there are some common threads. They have been unable to date to tie it all together.

Anyone with information about the abduction and killing of Shonda Townsend can call Palo Pinto County Crime Stoppers at 940-325-0000, any time 24 hours a day. Callers can remain anonymous.

There is also a Facebook page, “Honoring Krishonda Townsend Memorial Group,” began as a way of seeking information about Townsend and her disappearance, keeping her memory alive and to help others find people who are missing.